Have you lost all your important data after updating Windows 10 to version 1903 or 1909? Do not worry, in this post we will provide you all possible options to recover lost data due to windows update. Many Windows 10 users have reported data loss after updating Windows 10. Let’s start with a real-life scenario.
Source: Microsoft Community
Like the above Windows 10 users, there are multiple users who are facing data loss situations after Windows 10 update.
Please follow the steps mentioned below to recover lost data due to Windows update:
Also Read: Recover Deleted Data From Dell PC
Remove the Temporary Account
- Press Window + I key on the keyboard to open Windows 10 Settings.
- Go to Accounts and click on Sync your settings.
- In case you see a screen which says “You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable“, as shown below in the picture. Reboot your computer and log in again. Doing this should get rid of the temporary account and you should get all your data back.
Rebooting your computer and log in again if you receive a message which says “We can’t sign in to your account”. Most of the time login out of your account and login back in fix this issue.
Note: Sometimes you have to restart your computer multiple times to view your missing files. Also, make sure to backup all your data till the time you worked on a temporary account as data may be deleted once you log out of the temporary account.
Find Lost Files Using the Windows Search Box on the Taskbar
Go to the Windows search box on the taskbar and write the name of your files to search your files.
In case you do not find the files run the troubleshooter to resolve the issue with Search. To do so type Indexing in the Windows search box and click on Indexing Options. Now click on Advanced and then click on Troubleshoot search and indexing and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Sometimes files are hidden and you cannot view it, in order to unhide it press Windows + E key on the keyboard to open File Explorer. Select View option on the top and put a check on Hidden items to view the complete list of files and folders. Now try searching your files.
- Also, use asterisk * to search files. As an example use *.doc to find word documents and *.mp3 to find music files.
- Sometimes files are in different locations, in such cases make a right-click on the file and click on Open file location and then copy the files to the desired location.
Use Windows Backup & Restore to Restore Lost Data
If you have backed up your data using Windows 10 backup then please follow the steps mentioned below to restore your lost files:
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Go to Update & Security, select Backup and click on Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
- Click on Restore my files and follow the on-screen instruction to restore your files.
Restore Lost Files from Windows.old Folder
Most of the times Windows 10 makes Windows.old folder in your C drive. You can restore missing data from Windows.old folder and save it to the desired location. To do so, follow the step provided below:
- Open File Explorer and then go to This PC > C: Drive > Windows.old
- Open the Users folder and select your user account.
- Now select the files, make a right-click to select Copy and then paste or send the files to another desired folder.
Perform System Restore
Many users were able to restore the data after performing a system restore, system restore will get rid of the latest Windows 10 update installed and you might recover all your files once windows are restored to the previous state.
To do so type System Restore on Windows search box and click on Create a restore point.
- Click on System Restore under the System Protection tab.
- Select the date prior to the latest Windows 10 update installed on your PC and click on Next.
- Confirm your restore point and click on Finish.
This process may take some time, once system restore is successfully done, check your files.
Use Windows Data Recovery to Recover Lost Data Due to Windows Update
After following all the steps mentioned above, you are unable to restore your data then it is highly recommended to use Windows Data Recovery software to recover your lost or deleted data. Windows Data Recovery is widely used as a Windows 10 Data Recovery software to recover lost and deleted data on Windows computers. With a few simple steps, you can easily recover all your important files, photos, videos, audio files, emails, etc.
Windows 10 Data Recovery also allows you to recover data from external storage devices such as USB Flash Drive, External SSD or HDD, Camera, Memory cards, etc. You can recover data in any situation like data loss due to virus attack, data loss due to PC crash, the format of hard drive and many more scenarios.
Windows 10 Data Recovery supports all Windows PC brands such as Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Sony, Microsoft Surface, Samsung, etc. You can download the Windows 10 Data Recovery Software from the link provided below.
Steps to Recover Data Using Windows 10 Data Recovery
Please go through the Complete Tutorial to Recover Data on Windows 10 PC
There is a famous saying “Prevention is better than cure” so it is always recommended to always backup your data so that you don’t face data loss situations in the future. However, I am sure this post provided you enough data recovery options in case you have lost data due to Windows 10 update. In case none of the steps help you to recover lost data then using Windows 10 Data Recovery software is the best option to deal with the situation.